Ontopic 2018 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

But they are such cute mother-cluckers!!

I want some mini-goats, thinking they could help mow the lawn. Wife thinks this idea is baaaad.
goats wont mow a lawn. Sheep will though.

Goats are best for taking down brush in the woods. 3/4s of an acre per mini goat. Eat fuckin everything brush/vine related and leave the trees alone.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Anybody know how to get rid of an owl that doesn't involve firearms?

Friend of ours lives rural-ish. Edge of a tiny "town". Their chickens run free and roost in the trees. Now a "big beautiful owl" (unknown exactly what type) has moved in and is taking 1 to 2 per week.

We don't want to shoot it and it might be protected and could be huge trouble anyways.

I told her as long as his pickin's are that easy he ain't leaving.

Building a good coop is an option obviously but also work and expense and just kind of not how they want to roll. The flock is used to living kind of semi-wild and might just go to the trees anyway.

Would also mean less human freedom having to be there every morning and night or buy more feed to keep them in an enclosed run if they're going to be away. As it is now the chickens are at least somewhat self-sufficient and very low maintenance.

Wondered if it might find somewhere else to live if it got harassed enough. Throw a handful of gravel at it every time you see it. Put some cheap little boom box radio out where you've seen it to blast music or people talking all night. If not remove, mess with its nest or tree hollow or whatever so it knows it's been molested and keep human scent on it but they don't know where it lives.

Etc. Etc.

How do you make an owl not want to be there even though it's the best buffet in town.

Trapping and relocating wild animals is illegal here though people do it anyways. If it's protected though that also could be a legal risk that might not be worth taking.

Friend of ours lives rural-ish. Edge of a tiny "town". Their chickens run free and roost in the trees. Now a "big beautiful owl" (unknown exactly what type) has moved in and is taking 1 to 2 per week.

We don't want to shoot it and it might be protected and could be huge trouble anyways.

Building a good coop is an option obviously but also work and expense and just kind of not how they want to roll. The flock is used to living kind of semi-wild and might just go to the trees anyway.

Would also mean less human freedom having to be there every morning and night or buy more feed to keep them in an enclosed run if they're going to be away. As it is now the chickens are at least somewhat self-sufficient and very low maintenance.

Wondered if it might find somewhere else to live if it got harassed enough. Throw a handful of gravel at it every time you see it. Put some cheap little boom box radio out where you've seen it to blast music or people talking all night. If not remove, mess with its nest or tree hollow or whatever so it knows it's been molested and keep human scent on it but they don't know where it lives.

Etc. Etc.

How do you make an owl not want to be there even though it's the best buffet in town.

Trapping and relocating wild animals is illegal here though people do it anyways. If it's protected though that also could be a legal risk that might not be worth taking.
Tootsie Pop

Etc. Etc.

That sucks. Yeah, they need to hide the food at night from that owl. Or keep providing midnight snacks.
@Frau Blugher - the snow melted, figured I should dig up the last 45-50 while it was easy. *Leeks.leeky.jpg

leeks? Awesome. How do you store a leek though, dont they need immediate processing for fresh use?

keep the chickens inside at night when the owl is out. Theyre nocturnal.

They're not going to want to do that but it might be the only really effective option.

Would mean the chickens aren't really "free" anymore and the people would be tied down to a little more farmer-like schedule/responsibility. Their chickens are really good looking healthy happy birds living like this but they aint gonna last either.

These people are kinda part hippie/naturalist and part just not very bright when it comes to some things.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
That sucks. Yeah, they need to hide the food at night from that owl. Or keep providing midnight snacks.
@Frau Blugher - the snow melted, figured I should dig up the last 45-50 while it was easy. *Leeks.View attachment 5613
You can leave them out all winter - they are a bi-annual so they need a second year in nature to make their flowers. Some people butt bales of hay on both sides of a row to make winter digging easier. We trimmed, washed, sliced and diced. 3 gallon bags, 6 quarts - into the freezer with no other prep is fine. Just like onions. $6-7 for a bundle of 75+ plants. Onions love this sandy soil. *Saved a gallon bag with mashed tatoes, a little gravy and turkey scrap from Thanksgiving - threw some in there for a poor man's vichyssoise on a day when I don't feel like "cooking".

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
They're not going to want to do that but it might be the only really effective option.

Would mean the chickens aren't really "free" anymore and the people would be tied down to a little more farmer-like schedule/responsibility. Their chickens are really good looking healthy happy birds living like this but they aint gonna last either.

These people are kinda part hippie/naturalist and part just not very bright when it comes to some things.

if theyre hippie about this they either need to accept the cycle of life that owls eat chickens, or be less hippie and house them. Chickens going home to roost in a safe place isnt unnatural, just gotta provide the safe place.

Or a dog. A dog that knows livestock and can behave in a chicken coop might keep the owl away

I'm gonna dream up some wacky ideas and dig up more biology info for a little bit. Might learn something about the owl I can use against it.
Could be an interesting academic exercise/experiment if nothing else.

Owl is awesome night vision. Chicken can't see shit in the dark. Gotta be a way to exploit that.

Cheap stage lighting lasers and track spots on a chase pattern, lol. Drop some bar room rock-n-roll mayhem on his ass.
When it doesn't work I get to keep the lights.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and wetwillie
I'm gonna dream up some wacky ideas and dig up more biology info for a little bit. Might learn something about the owl I can use against it.
Could be an interesting academic exercise/experiment if nothing else.

Owl is awesome night vision. Chicken can't see shit in the dark. Gotta be a way to exploit that.

Cheap stage lighting lasers and track spots on a chase pattern, lol. Drop some bar room rock-n-roll mayhem on his ass.
When it doesn't work I get to keep the lights.
Call local wildlife management, ask if they have pointers, or can possibly trap and rehome it?