Ontopic 2018 Amateur Farm and Garden thread

Also build more taller trellises, and make gigundo tomato cages out of concrete reinforcing mesh.
There's a farm where we pick apples that also has lots of u-pick veggies. They do roma tomatos like this:

1550812BM8420.jpg

Their plastic isn't as wide as in this picture and there are no stakes. But, damn, if there's not a massive nest of perfect romas under the leaves.

Also build more taller trellises, and make gigundo tomato cages out of concrete reinforcing mesh.
Look at "Cattle panels"(Tractor Supply/etc.) - it' is 50"' tall, 16' long, lightly galvanized. Bottom has 3-4 rows of wire on 3" spacing, then goes to 5" squares?(?). I cut those to 8' long, then bend into a U-shape about 2.5' square. Cherry tomatoes planted around inside are then wove thru the squares - no strings or wires.
*Concrete re-inforc will rust terrible out in the air. Hog fencing makes great cucumber fence.

Look at "Cattle panels"(Tractor Supply/etc.) - it' is 50"' tall, 16' long, lightly galvanized. Bottom has 3-4 rows of wire on 3" spacing, then goes to 5" squares?(?). I cut those to 8' long, then bend into a U-shape about 2.5' square. Cherry tomatoes planted around inside are then wove thru the squares - no strings or wires.
*Concrete re-inforc will rust terrible out in the air. Hog fencing makes great cucumber fence.

Concrete mesh comes pre rusty.

And it works fine. My uncle used cages like that for years with great results.

yep, all mine are built outta hog panels.

Cucumber trellises are fishing nets, but if i had to redo them, id do them outta hog panelling too

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I'll just use cardboard then :mad:
Sourcing it is the real trick.
There's a farm where we pick apples that also has lots of u-pick veggies. They do roma tomatos like this:

1550812BM8420.jpg

Their plastic isn't as wide as in this picture and there are no stakes. But, damn, if there's not a massive nest of perfect romas under the leaves.
That works with ROmas because of their determinate growth pattern - one flush of flowers, one crop o-maters. That's about how I do it. Strap to something, wait for them to hang
Concrete mesh comes pre rusty.

And it works fine. My uncle used cages like that for years with great results.
Shorter, weaker wire, no galvanization and costs about the same per sq. ft.. Starter rows of wire at bottom of cattle and hog panel are real handy for getting cucs and beans going vertical on. Mother Jones magazine turned me on to it. But to each their own.
*I don't want to be getting rusty on a regular basis - my geezer bod can't take it. And Mrs. Geezer would kick my ass!

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
you know, onions and potatoes are one thing i never felt the urge to grow.

They dont "decay" in flavor like fresh stuff to the best of my knowledge, and theyre so darn cheap at the store, its easier just to buy. Also, what am i gonna do with a couple hundred pounds of onions or poe-tae-toes

They dont "decay" in flavor like fresh stuff to the best of my knowledge, and theyre so darn cheap at the store, its easier just to buy. Also, what am i gonna do with a couple hundred pounds of onions or poe-tae-toes
I don't do potatoes - carbs and pretty labot intensive. Onions - 300-400 plants are $30. Those average 1 lb apiece but a few went over 2 lbs."Alicia Craig" variety.
Large sweet onions are $0.99/lb here. And they last very well. And we like onions. They grow good here damnit!

Eddie must have 6000 Acres.
Every picture is enough to feed a third world country.
Only 3.35 acres. But hey, I almost fathered a small country so it's kind of necessary(7 kids, small IMMEDIATE family gathering is 20-ish people).

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings

We made a ton of sweet potato tots and froze them.

My sister wanted egg laying chickens. Brother-in-Law put his foot down. With all that mess?
My sister called & asked what I thought about it. I told her she should listen to him!
But they are such cute mother-cluckers!!

I want some mini-goats, thinking they could help mow the lawn. Wife thinks this idea is baaaad.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel