Food 2017 Garden Thread

We need to set up a better way to support the tomato pants. Either we buy 4 dozen large cages at $20 to $30 each or we build a trellis.

I think we'll go trellis.

Eight of these post spikes, four per row, two rows. 4x4 post in each spike. Capped off with another 4x4 on top or pair of 2x4's fastened on the outside of the 4x4 for strength.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LTL-Home-Products-Groundmaster-30-in-Gray-Post-GM-30/100039044
definitely go trellis. Get some cattle panels from tractor supply and put them at a 15 degree angle. Drape the plants across em as they grow and weave em through.

the string trellises seems more work and dont offer as much support for branches

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
definitely go trellis. Get some cattle panels from tractor supply and put them at a 15 degree angle. Drape the plants across em as they grow and weave em through.

the string trellises seems more work and dont offer as much support for branches

I was going to run heavy gauge wire between the posts, every 18" or so. Make it like a grape vine trellis you see at wineries.

What kind of tomatoes you growing?
I love homegrown tomatoes.

A few different cherries, beefsteaks, some other ones.

Last year we had clusters for the larger tomatoes that weighed 3 or more pounds. Few clusters per branch. Shit gets heavy quick.

We did 4' wood stakes. Quite a few snapped off from the weight.

A few different cherries, beefsteaks, some other ones.

Last year we had clusters for the larger tomatoes that weighed 3 or more pounds. Few clusters per branch. Shit gets heavy quick.

We did 4' wood stakes. Quite a few snapped off from the weight.

I could make a meal out of tomato salad and a loaf of Italian bread.
And home made tomato sauce!!!
I should have gout by now.

Those are total shit. Fold right up when the plant gets to heavy.

I've had the same problem with those but seeing as we already have a bunch we don't have to buy I just run some steel fenceposts in the ground to wire them onto and help support them.

Edit:. Because we already have the posts and don't have to buy those either.

If I was buying stuff to start from scratch I'd do the cattle panel thing too.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
@Valve1138 you're learning all the same lessons i did :p

You putting any organic material into the soil before tilling? Manure/topsoil/leafgro?

We're putting this stuff down over the entire farm this year. It's gas and water permeable, and it'll kill the fuck out of any weeds before they start.

Supposed to last 10 years.

www.amazon.com/DeWitt-SBLT4300-Sunbelt-Ground-Barrier/dp/B004SI9RY0/ref=pd_sim_86_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=32WA9CHRG2353FKHS4BT

that is a great price on that weed barrier. Ive been using this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Mutual-Polye...8&qid=1487533831&sr=8-4&keywords=mutual+wf200

if you need wider widths, the mutual wf200 comes in all kinds of sizes.

How are you gonna keep the fabric from blowing away? That was my latest lesson.

I'll pick up a ton of staples and use slate bits, bricks, rocks, etc. I just unearthed a pile of bricked behind the shed yesterday. We don't have wind issues like you do.

If I can get my hands on any amendment I will. If not the leaves I dumped in there will do fine.

I picked the 4' width because it's seems like the easiest width to work with.