Ontopic 108 - 3: no, we won't tease them by tossing the ball around. We played straight up.

Amstel

The Hoarse Whisperer
Jul 12, 2009
you're a whore, but in a good way. Kindof.
Marklar
₥43,516
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/...l-rout-raises-questions?urn=highschool-311327

It's been called unsportsmanlike. It's been called ugly. The question now is whether Christian Heritage (Utah) High, which routed West Ridge (Utah) Academy, 108-3, in a girls basketball game last week, actually did anything wrong by blowing out an overwhelmed opponent.
ept_sports_prep_rally-323210630-1295829160.jpg

The stunning scoreline -- from a varsity game in which Christian Heritage reportedly never used a full-court press -- nearly defies belief. As reported in the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune, Christian Heritage scored 28 points per quarter for the first three periods and 24 in the fourth, providing a consistent average of nearly two baskets per minute across the entire game. The Crusaders shut out West Ridge (pictured above running on to the court for the team's game following the rout) for the first three quarters, and Christian Heritage starter Josi Rydin even racked up a unique triple-double, with exactly 10 points, 10 rebounds and 10 steals.

And with his starters still in the game, McGill decided it would be more disrespectful to slow the ball down and pass around the perimeter than continuing to run the team's offense.
"I have been on the other side of this equation," McGill told ABC 4. "It was very insulting when teams slowed the ball down and just passed it around. That's why I'd rather have a team play me straight up, and that's why I played them straight up. Because I didn't want to taunt them, I didn't want to embarrass them, I didn't want them to think we could do whatever we want."
While Christian Heritage has already apologized for the lopsided scoreline and administrators at West Ridge have said the school harbors no ill will and has moved on from the incident, there are still lingering concerns about what could happen when the teams play again. The two are scheduled to play Feb. 3 for the second half of the schools' home-and-home league meetings.
Much of that concern comes from McGill's personal philosophy. The coach said he refuses to force his players to back down just because they have all but assured a victory, citing a desire to promote values that he feels are limited by contemporary culture.
"Too many people in the world right now allow the youth to not be as good as they can be, allow them to be lazy," said McGill. "Here, I'm giving them an opportunity to live up to the best of their abilities and be proud of what they're able to accomplish. If that's what I'm being blamed for, then OK, I accept it."​

If you don't like it, don't sign up. What's worse, that or giving the ref the power to call the winner mid game?

In basketball land, when there is a huge shut out, it is common courtesy to pull out your starters. It's also smart, as they might get injured from opponent frustration, and bench players can get some in game experience. That didn't happen here but whatever it's not a rule. Play on or get those skeevy asses back in the kitchen where they belong. If I was coaching, I would have pulled the starting five out. I'm not sure why keeping the starters in is automatically disrespectful.

Conceding should really be up to the losing team and not the referees.

If you're going to stop competing and pass the ball around, you might as well call off the game altogether.

In any sports you pull your starters in a blow out to get your younger players playing time. It's retarded coaching to say the least, but whatever. Gotta be prepared to lose big if you want to play.

In any sports you pull your starters in a blow out to get your younger players playing time. It's retarded coaching to say the least, but whatever. Gotta be prepared to lose big if you want to play.

It's high school. The younger players are usually on a freshman squad or JV squad.

You can still put in your backups to get them some playing time.

I remember kansas state blowing out missouri in football in the early 2000s... They had third and fourth string in by half and couldn't stop scoring. They only ran the ball, etc... Mu had no answer. Offensive coach after the game said what else could we do? Can't tell our players to go out and half ass it, they still gotta play their hardest.

You can still put in your backups to get them some playing time.

I remember kansas state blowing out missouri in football in the early 2000s... They had third and fourth string in by half and couldn't stop scoring. They only ran the ball, etc... Mu had no answer. Offensive coach after the game said what else could we do? Can't tell our players to go out and half ass it, they still gotta play their hardest.

Football's different. You're allowed one full set of reserves and 2 more players. Also some coaches want to make sure their starters are conditioned for a full game which is more important than in football.

I read through the links. & some comments - apparently members on the 2nd string missed practice so they weren't allowed to play this game unless they agreed to run laps at a later date.

That is so High School athletics.