1 TB and beyond

Im takeing that you will be streaming stuff allover your house eventually some of it high bandwidth? If so then I would say that the PCI way is going to eventually be a bottleneck the bigger the content becomes for the future you may want to go pci express or with a onboard solution that is not actually a part of the PCI bus. 133mb/s is not really all that much nowadays.

Ryokurin said:
Im takeing that you will be streaming stuff allover your house eventually some of it high bandwidth? If so then I would say that the PCI way is going to eventually be a bottleneck the bigger the content becomes for the future you may want to go pci express or with a onboard solution that is not actually a part of the PCI bus. 133mb/s is not really all that much nowadays.
PCIe controllers don't exist yet

PCI-X won't have the near term bandwidth limitations

Onboard doesn't support more than 4 drives at this time

And buying a NAS thingy would mean I'd still have to build up a separate server ... although that overall cost may or may not be less.

theacoustician said:
PCIe controllers don't exist yet

PCI-X won't have the near term bandwidth limitations

Onboard doesn't support more than 4 drives at this time

And buying a NAS thingy would mean I'd still have to build up a separate server ... although that overall cost may or may not be less.

I've got such a geek boner reading this thread :drool:

I don't know alot about RAID, but I was under the impression that you could do RAID5 at a software level and not worry about using a HW RAID controller, and that the SW solutions are at least as good if not better.

I have a friend at work who is building his own Myth box that will have over a TB of storage and is using SW RAID5. I won't see him until Monday though to ask him details.

BozuSugoi said:
I don't know alot about RAID, but I was under the impression that you could do RAID5 at a software level and not worry about using a HW RAID controller, and that the SW solutions are at least as good if not better.

I have a friend at work who is building his own Myth box that will have over a TB of storage and is using SW RAID5. I won't see him until Monday though to ask him details.
Software RAID is never as good as hardware RAID.