Halp 1.6 Billion Passwords Stolen. Why Aren't You Using a Password Manager?

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,313
Steam
mattressfish
Ideal stolen from @Mr. Asa...

So if you've been living under a rock, a small group of Russian hackers have managed to amass about 1.6 billion username/password combinations to a ton of websites.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/06/over-1-6b-passwords-stolen-by-russian-crime-gang/

Shit like this happens all the time. Now depending on *how* they got the information, a password manager may or may not have helped. But it doesn't matter, because probably thousands of websites are compromised a day, and that's *for sure* something you certainly don't really have to care about if you have a password manager.

There are probably many options, but I use Lastpass. I've been using it for years. The software itself is free, but to use it on a mobile device you have to pay $12/year. With this software, every website I go to has a different, randomly generated password. So when I get an email about some website I belong to getting compromised, I don't really care as much. That password will ONLY get them into the site they already had access to!

Lastpass also has a form fill feature. You basically type your information into Lastpass, and at your request, it will automatically fill in that information into the registration boxes on websites. It makes registration a 10 second process.

As far as security for Lastpass. Use a VERY good password to secure your Lastpass vault. As long as you do that, you're golden. Lastpass does store your encrypted vault remotely, but has no access to it. Every time you add a new site, the vault is salted and encrypted locally, then the encrypted blob is sent up to Lastpass. Again, without brute forcing your password, they have no access to your data.

I pay for the mobile plan and its totally worth it. In the latest version, not only can it fill in ID/passwords on websites, it can also do it for almost any stand alone app. Pretty sweet app. Peace of mind. All for $1/mo.

I use lastpass too, and I should probably check up on my password statuses...

That's the other neat thing about lastpass - their periodic vault audit feature. Got an eBay password that's from pre-2004? It'll remind you to change it in light of the latest compromises.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Thanks to Lastpass, I don't even have any idea what my password here is. :lol:

edit: They also have another neat feature that allows you to share an ID/password with another Lastpass user. @APRIL and I do this all the time.

What the hell does Lastpass have to do with stolen passwords? This thread seems like an infomercial.