1,015lb Bench Press attempt

b_sinning said:
What's your max or you not worrying about that lately. I go through periods like that. Last time I tried I got 335lbs x 2. I didn't bother going for one rep max as i was already tired working up that high. I took a few weeks off to recover from various wear and tear and just started back up strong again. I'm behind where I was but I think the time off will help me push forward now.

I haven't attempted to do a max since I was in the 12th grade. Never saw a point to it.

Sarcasmo said:
How many sets are you doing? You should be doing 4 or 5. That seems pretty heavy for several sets.

3 sets. I'm also modifying the weight as I go to get it down to the 4-6 rep range. I haven't found my limit, but I'm not in a hurry to get there either.

Coqui's smart. Too often people that want to bodybuild get caught up in a powerlifters mindset. It's not how much you can lift but how it's working your muscles and do workouts that help you grow. Powerlifters are huge but typically no definition and most just look fat/huge and not what most people think of when they think of musclar. Also they often end up doing too much weight and getting injured becuase they sacraficed form in doing too much weight.

b_sinning said:
Coqui's smart. Too often people that want to bodybuild get caught up in a powerlifters mindset. It's not how much you can lift but how it's working your muscles and do workouts that help you grow. Powerlifters are huge but typically no definition and most just look fat/huge and not what most people think of when they think of musclar. Also they often end up doing too much weight and getting injured becuase they sacraficed form in doing too much weight.
I think they also neglect to build other muscles, that are necessary for the better form and stabilization

Yep theres two ways of doing it. If you are concerned about size but not endurance the way that I do it is starting out with 3 reps of 5 of heavy weight. as soon as I can do those I step up to 6 up to a max of 8. This builds up thick mass but as I said It dosn't do much for stamina.

An alternative is to do less weight and do 9 to 13 reps. you still build muscle but it ends up tighter and more tone and it also increases your stamina in the process. I did this way starting out and while it was noticeable it was mostly by people who knew what I looked like before. Ever since I changed up people really notice now.